locked sticky Working the Birds #makeitradio

Doug KM4LKC

Lawrence, K4ETD, has offered to help our club organize a workgroup to develop a satellite communications system.  The club hopes to develop a microcontroller-based radio system to track and communicate with the International Space Station and other low-earth orbit satellites.  We are in the very early stages of organizing the project and our first goal is to see who is interested in participating.  Let us know if you would like to help.

Having fun promoting amateur radio technology

Angelo K3YUN

Count me in!!

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020, 7:13 PM Doug KM4LKC via groups.io <sunburned_fl=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:
Lawrence, K4ETD, has offered to help our club organize a workgroup to develop a satellite communications system.  The club hopes to develop a microcontroller-based radio system to track and communicate with the International Space Station and other low-earth orbit satellites.  We are in the very early stages of organizing the project and our first goal is to see who is interested in participating.  Let us know if you would like to help.

Having fun promoting amateur radio technology

Joe KK4TOI

I would love to

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020, 7:24 PM Angelo K3YUN <adramis164@...> wrote:
Count me in!!

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020, 7:13 PM Doug KM4LKC via groups.io <sunburned_fl=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:
Lawrence, K4ETD, has offered to help our club organize a workgroup to develop a satellite communications system.  The club hopes to develop a microcontroller-based radio system to track and communicate with the International Space Station and other low-earth orbit satellites.  We are in the very early stages of organizing the project and our first goal is to see who is interested in participating.  Let us know if you would like to help.

Having fun promoting amateur radio technology

Paul KO4ACZ / Mo KO4ADA

Great club project, we’re interested.

Jerome W4CWU

I would like to participate.

I have experience with Arduino microcontrollers, and I have been interested in satellite communications for some time.

Jerry
W4CWU

On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 9:54 AM Joe KK4TOI <kk4toi@...> wrote:
I would love to

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020, 7:24 PM Angelo K3YUN <adramis164@...> wrote:
Count me in!!

On Thu, Oct 29, 2020, 7:13 PM Doug KM4LKC via groups.io <sunburned_fl=yahoo.com@groups.io wrote:
Lawrence, K4ETD, has offered to help our club organize a workgroup to develop a satellite communications system.  The club hopes to develop a microcontroller-based radio system to track and communicate with the International Space Station and other low-earth orbit satellites.  We are in the very early stages of organizing the project and our first goal is to see who is interested in participating.  Let us know if you would like to help.

Having fun promoting amateur radio technology

Gary KN4CWF

I wish to participate, Gary KN4CWF

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Timothy Martin Clark

Sounds like fun.

Doug KM4LKC

Edited

The Satellite Workgroup meets on Tuesday, November 17th at 4:00 pm on the WX4E Repeater.

Join us for our first workgroup and technical gathering.  Lawrence, K4ETD, has kindly volunteered to facilitate our workshop to develop a micro-controller based satellite communications system.  We have set up a shared google document that will allow you to record your check-in information, read the topic for discussion, post questions, make comments, and share links.
When you click the link below, be sure to select the blue button labeled "Satellite Working Documents".

http://carsfl.org/workgroups/

Doug KM4LKC

There are several ways to get started working satellites and the International Space Station.
Here is an inexpensive home-brew design to consider:
https://nightskyinfocus.com/2020/05/02/diy-satellite-antenna-du1au/

Bob KC1MAM

Edited

Doug,

Succeeded this afternoon in contacting my first bird !!!

Does anyone know how this affects the SWR of the dipole ?

Alternatively does anyone know the proper wattage and cooking times ? We like ours "extra crispy" !!

Doug KM4LKC

4 1/2 minutes at 1200 watts for extra crispy.

As for the SWR....it should feather right down to 1:1.

Doug KM4LKC

Let's go see Brian Darley's ARISS Satellite system on Thursday, March 25th.
We'll meet at the McDonalds located at I-75 and Jones Loop Road around 8:00 am.  We can grab some coffee and leave McDonald's at 9:00 am.
The Caravan will drive to the Buckingham Airfield in Lehigh Acres.  The address of the Airfield is 15191 Homestead Rd, Lehigh Acres, FL 33971
Here is a map to the location.

Brian will have the ARISS System setup as part of the Buckingham Army Airfield Special Event Station on the air to commemorate all of the men and women who trained at this facility during World War II.  Here is a link to the special event web page, which describes the event and the history of this World War II training facility - https://fmarc.net/buckingham/

Having fun promoting amateur radio technology

Doug KM4LKC

We had a great time with Brian Darley and his ARISS satellite system today.  And what a turnout!  I think Brian was surprised with the showing from CARS.
Brian is a huge resource for anyone interested in satellite communications. We can’t thank him enough for the time and effort he took with our group.

Jim Nuznoff WD8JEL

Was sorry that I had a schedule conflict. Would have liked to experience that.

On Thu, Mar 25, 2021 at 6:35 PM, Doug KM4LKC via groups.io
<sunburned_fl@...> wrote:

We had a great time with Brian Darley and his ARISS satellite system today.  And what a turnout!  I think Brian was surprised with the showing from CARS.
Brian is a huge resource for anyone interested in satellite communications. We can’t thank him enough for the time and effort he took with our group.

Doug KM4LKC

The Charlotte Amateur Radio Society received a great write-up in the Ft Myers Amateur Radio Club's newsletter.  Special thanks to Brian Darley who made this possible.  FMARC is a great club and they are a big help to us.  Check it out!