moderated Phase 2 - An Emergency Communications Exercise #operatingevents #emcomm

Doug KM4LKC

We are getting ready for our second emergency communications exercise. As we develop our plans, we need your help. Please let us know if you can assist us with the exercise either by providing equipment or by operating the portable stations.

This exercise will involve four (4) portable stations spread across the county. These stations will need two radio systems - an HF station to work 40 meters and 6 meters and a VHF/UHF one radio system to work both VHF and UHF. The HF station will need to work voice, JS8 Call, and Winlink RF only (no internet).

Each portable station will need at least two operators. Each station will need to include the antenna systems, emergency power systems, radio systems including the computers to run JS8 and Winlink.
Antenna systems are limited to a height between 20 and 25 feet to the base of the antenna. This is designed to simulate a "painter's pole " type of antenna deployment. It would be great if we can test Angelo's 6-meter coax antenna as part of our 6-meter operations.

Ideally, we would like to have one unit in the Engelwood area located close to the Myakka but just west of the river. A second unit could be located in the Murdock area. We will have one unit located in Punta Gorda near US 17 and Bermont Road. And finally, if we would love to get a fourth unit located in the Babcock Ranch Community located in the southeastern part of the county.

That's the hard part. The easy part is that many operators will be able to assist us in testing systems from their own location using hand-held units and mobile units.

Having fun promoting amateur radio technology

Leonard N4LJT

Count me in. Would like to work the Myakka river west area. I have  a radio but am not set up for portable operation ( antennas or power)and do not have all the modes functional as yet on the radio, FT-857.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Monday, March 1, 2021, 10:15 AM, Doug KM4LKC via groups.io <sunburned_fl@...> wrote:

[...]

Duwain W8JJV

I am in
Duwain

Ian KO4EFS

Sign Me Up!!!   (Provided it is on a Saturday or Sunday)   I can head out to Babcock Ranch.     I will need a Portable HF Antenna and a Power System, but beyond that I already have most everything else we would need.      If I can not be paired with someone with this equipment, I am pretty sure I can borrow what I need from down here and I am willing to work alone. . I may have a Ham down here that may want to go with me as well.   I will make it happen!

I guess it is time to learn JS8 Call.   LOL

Sounds like a great exercise!!

Looking forward to it!

73

Ian - KO4EFS

--
    QRZ Page HERE

Steve KO4SPC

Count me in. I’m flexible as to location

On Mar 1, 2021, at 10:15 AM, Doug KM4LKC via groups.io <sunburned_fl@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you, Leonard and Duwain.  We will need you both.
More to details to come.

Doug KM4LKC

Ian,

That is great.  We will work on getting you some help and organizing the equipment list.
It would be terrific to understand the communications needs to the Babcock Ranch Community.

Thank you so much for the help!

Doug KM4LKC

Steve, We will use your services.  We may need you at Bermont Road but I'll let you know.

Doug KM4LKC

Radio Operators

Help Wanted – Will Train

In order to conduct the upcoming CARS Emergency Communications Exercise – Part II, the following positions are open !!!!

Home Operator – Individuals with UHF/VHF Radios (base, mobile, handheld) that will contact one of the four “County Wide Hubs” reporting your call sign, your 6-digit grid square, and your received signal report.  This will be reporting from your home location, no travel or transportation is necessary,  If you already check into the “Sunshine Net” then the only difference will be setting your radio to a different “Simplex” frequency from the list that will be provided.

Rover Operator (12+) – Individual with VHF/UHF mobile or a handheld radio that will rove around the county trying to identify dead spots and giving grid location and signal reports.  A few specific Rovers will also have time-stamped envelopes containing specific “Messages” that need to be communicated to “county Wide Hub” stations and the ability to copy responses.  Needs ability to travel around Charlotte County during the 2-3 hours the exercise will be underway.

VHF/UHF Station Operator (4) –  Much like “Net Control” on “nets” these operators will be running the UHF/VHF radio at one of the County-Wide Hubs, making contacts with the Home Operators and Rover Operators and recording contacts and messages.  The messages will be passed to the HF / Digital Operators for delivery.  If responses need to go back to the Rover Operator, these will come from the local hub’s HF / Digital Operators and be passed back to the originator.  Basic 2m/70cm transceiver operation skill a plus.

HF / Digital Station Operators (4) – This is the person that will be converting written messages received from the VHF/UHF station operators. JS8CALL and WIINLINK operating on RF will be the primary communications methods on both 6m and 40m.  Voice (Phone) will be used at specific time windows on 6m to measure that capability.  Familiarity with digital modes and using computers to send/receive both emails and textual messages a plus.

County Wide Hub Logger (8) – This entry-level position is perfect for someone new to the Club or an experienced operator with contesting experience. This person will help the station operators by being a second set of ears, copying down information, and maintaining the station logs. Opportunities to “swap out” with the station operators exist and will vary with knowledge and experience picked up on the job.

David NC4CC

I think I was to help Bob with the Murdock location. If not, or needed elsewhere, I could possibly qualify for a home operator or one of the other fixed station operator.

Dave  NC4CC

[...]

Rod K4BGU

Hi Doug and group,
I would like to participate as a ‘home station’. I have been kept very busy the last 6 weeks as full time care giver for my wife. Somewhere during this time I missed/lost the date of the next exercise. While I can’t leave her alone, I can work my station from home.
I live in Burnt Store Marina to give you a place to put a pin 📌 in the map. I have a Yeasu dual band with 50 watts and a dual band antenna on the roof at about 20 feet at the tip.
73’s
Rod Brennan-K4BGU

[...]

Edited

Mark your calendars for Saturday, April 24th for the CARS Emergency Communications Exercise – Part II

We'll begin setup around 8:00 am.  Operations will start at 10:00 am and we should wrap up by 1:00 pm.
More information will follow regarding the frequencies of operation, time slots of operations and the format.
At this time we are developing the four (4) portable stations, equipment needs, and operators for each station.
If you would like to help us log or operate, just let us know by posting here.

To learn a little more see the following post:

https://cars-fl.groups.io/g/main/message/1230

https://cars-fl.groups.io/g/main/message/1250

Jeff KD8JNA

I’ll gladly serve as a rover and drive around the county.

Doug KM4LKC

THANK YOU!

I see a number of people are willing to help us with our Emergency Communications Test on Saturday, April 24th.

If you want to visit one of our four (4) locations, I will have the address and google maps links posted in the next few days.

If you want to help us range test our portable stations by driving to various locations and using your hand-held radio, that would be great.  The range testing is targeting distances of 4 to 8 miles from each of the portable stations.
You can also work us from your mobile or home station.

Here is the VHF/ UHF Exchange -
    • Callsign

    • Gridsquare Location (6 digits)

    • Type of rig – Handheld, Mobile, Base Station

    • Power output

  • Bob: Green Control, KC1MAM

  • Release the Push to Talk on your radio and listen for control., Control will manage any pile-ups by directing nodes to check-in by callsign.

  • GC:  Green Control to KC1MAM, go ahead with your check-in

  • Bob: This is KC1MAM, operating from EL86WW on my Base Station at 50 watts, How Copy ?

  • GC: KCM1MAM this is Green Control, I copy location EL86WW and using Base Station at 50 watts. Your signal is loud and clear with no interference, Thank you for your check-in, Green Control K4xyz is Clear.

  • Bob: Readback is correct, KC1MAM is clear and standing by.

We will have specific times that we are operating on VHF and UHF simplex frequencies.  A separate post will be made indicating the times and frequencies uses at each of our four portable stations.

Keith K4ROX

You guys should hop onto  146.520 anytime. There are a few of us that monitor when we are around. Propagation has been great with even mobiles talking statewide.

Keith, K4ROX

I see a number of people are willing to help us with our Emergency Communications Test on Saturday, April 24th.

If you want to visit one of our four (4) locations, I will have the address and google maps links posted in the next few days.

If you want to help us range test our portable stations by driving to various locations and using your hand-held radio, that would be great.  The range testing is targeting distances of 4 to 8 miles from each of the portable stations.
You can also work us from your mobile or home station.

Here is the VHF/ UHF Exchange -

·

·       Callsign

·

·

[...]

Marty AA5UN

I volunteer to be a rover.  I have a handheld and a mobile rig.  It would also be a good opportunity to explore the county.

Marty AA5UN

Scott W4TDA

I’d like to help.  I have a portable vhf/uhf with battery self contained.  I will try and have a HF set up the same way but am having trouble choosing an antenna.  Can anyone assist me in choosing an antenna? Plus I will not have a 6 meter antenna definitely.  I would be a good candidate for Angelou’s 6 meter coax...  willing to do Punta Gorda or Babcock.

any guidance on HF antenna would be much appreciated 941-380-0984

Doug KM4LKC

Edited

Call sign update on Version 2

Here is the first version of the Operating Guide for our April 24th Emergency Communications Exercise.
It is very possible that this document will change so please make sure you have the latest version.
We had to make a last-minute adjustment to our operating locations to resolve some equipment operating issues.
I want to give special thanks to Bob Bowes, KC1MAM for his help in making this adjustment.

The good news is that we have a triangle of stations to test our range capabilities.  The Englewood station is located approximately 20 miles from the Punta Gorda station.  The Punta Gorda Station is about 17 miles from the Babcock Ranch station.  And it is about 35 miles from the Babcock Ranch station to the Engelwood station.

Please find the attached guide to help you program your radios.  We are operating on VHF/UHF, 6 meters and 40 meters.  We will operate in three modes on 6 meters and 40 meters using voice, JS8 Call with the relay feature, and VARA HF 4.4.3 using Winlink Peer-2-Peer as our service.

This is an updated document coming as of 04/20/2021.  A change was made to the Babcock Callsign on Version 2.

You can find the file with the latest instructions located here.

Having fun promoting amateur radio technology

Doug KM4LKC

You can find the latest document detailing the Charlotte Amateur Radio Society's April 24th Emergency Communications Exercise here:
https://cars-fl.groups.io/g/main/message/1318

Help us range test these locations on VHF, UHF, 40 meters and 6 meters.

LOCATIONS

Englewood Florida

"YELLOW ZONE"

Ann & Chuck Dever Regional Park

6791 San Casa Dr, Englewood, FL 34224

Map - https://goo.gl/maps/ahGYvVi9wtaCWq9j9

Call sign for communications, winlink, and JS8 =  K9XV  Kilo Nine Xray Victor

Punta Gorda Florida

"BLUE ZONE"

Chuck's Place

6236 Alfred Blvd, Punta Gorda, FL 33982

Map - https://goo.gl/maps/MkoGbZEQh6L5jnGg8

Call sign for communications, winlink, and JS8 = KM4LKC  Kilo Mike Four Lima Kilo Charlie

Babcock Ranch Community

"RED ZONE"

The site is expected to be located approximately 1 mile inside of Babcock Ranch on the left side of Greenway Boulevard.  This is on the North Side of Babcock Ranch Near 31 and Cook Brown Road.

Map - https://goo.gl/maps/5Qa2R6DUsAGNn17E8

This has changed - Call sign for communications, winlink, and JS8 = W8JJV  Whiskey Eight Juliet Juliet Victor

Having fun promoting amateur radio technology

Doug KM4LKC

You can find the latest document detailing the Charlotte Amateur Radio Society's April 24th Emergency Communications Exercise here:
https://cars-fl.groups.io/g/main/message/1318

OPERATING FREQUENCIES

All communication will be by simplex only with no repeaters nor internet involved.  We will operate on the following frequencies:

VHF / UHF Stations

Portable to Portable stations and general communications
146.400 446.025

HT range testing and message handling

YELLOW ZONE  =
146.425 446.050
BLUE ZONE  = 146.450 446.075
RED ZONE   = 146.475 446.100

6 - Meters
Voice  =  50.200
Winlink using VARA HF 4.4.3  = 50.300 Center Frequency
JS8 Call   = 50.318

40-Meters
Voice  =  7.281 +/-
Winlink using VARA HF 4.4.3  = 7.110 Center Frequency
JS8 Call   = 7.078

Having fun promoting amateur radio technology