Topics

sticky Winter Field Day on Saturday, January 30th and Sunday, January 31st! #operatingevents

Doug KM4LKC

View this email in your browser

Join us for Winter Field Day on Saturday, January 30th and Sunday, January 31st!

The Charlotte Amateur Radio Society hosts one of our favorite field operating events.  We will begin our setup at 9:00 am on Saturday, January 30th.  The first contact begins at 2:00 pm and the event will continue for 24 hours.  Takedown will begin at 2:00 pm on Sunday, the 31st.

This is a great introduction to contesting.  We encourage any amateur radio operator who wants to learn more about contesting or emergency communications to sign up for an operating slot.  We will have experienced operators working with you to help you get started and learn the process.  Winter Field Day is a fun event that promotes operating in different modes and on many different bands.  You can learn more about the event here.

We will be located at the Deep Creek Park just across the Desoto County line.  The park is next to the Navigator Grill off of Kings Highway.

Address and Google Map to the Park
Deep Creek Park
9751 SW Peace River St Arcadia, FL 34269

Having fun promoting amateur radio technology

Jim W8JEL

That post, although informative about the event, added nothing to my knowledge of OUR winter field day event.

On Sun, Jan 3, 2021 at 2:56 PM, Doug KM4LKC via groups.io
<sunburned_fl@...> wrote:
[...]

Hi Jim,

This post is used as an "Anchor" for the posting on groups.io.  This allows us a place to point emails and website information.  We can stack up information, share ideas and divide the task... something like making a club sandwich...lol.
The initial post is simply an announcement reminding the unfamiliar about the event, dates and times, providing an address and map, and linking anyone interested to the WFD rules.

I apologize for not making the original post more clear.  Hopefully, we can get more details out soon as we firm up the plans.

73,

Edited

We've done a great job getting our equipment list together for Winter Field Day.  Keep an eye out for a request for some supplies to help us with the event.
Now it's time to get our operating schedule organized.  We will have two stations operating throughout the event.  Ideally, we will have two operators on each radio.  One person will handle the logging program and the other will operate the radio.  Amateur radio operators will have the opportunity to work voice, digital, and CW if possible.

If you are new to contesting, this is a great event to get some hands-on experience under the watchful eye of a more experienced operator.  We plan to hold an introduction to the radio equipment and operating procedures at 1:00 pm on Saturday.  The event goes live at 2:00 pm.  We are looking for operators to sign up in four (4) hour time blocks.  You will not work the radios for all four hours.  We can take turns switching positions every hour or so.  Please post here if you would like to volunteer for a time slot and let us know if you are new to contesting so we can pair you up with an experienced operator.  Ideally, we will have eight (8) operators assigned to each time slot. There's plenty of room for operators.  If you are a gluten for punishment, sign up for more than one slot.  We always have room on the graveyard shifts.

  • Saturday  2:00 pm - 6:00 pm
    • Dave K4DES
    • Peter K4PJG
    • Wilson WK3E
    • Jason KN4JND
    • Chuck KO4ACY
  • Saturday  6:00 pm - 10:00 pm
    • Steve KO4SPC
    • Leonard  N4LJT
    • Paul KO4ACZ
    • Mo KO4ADA
  • Saturday  10:00 pm - 2:00 am
    • Paul KO4ACZ
    • Mo KO4ADA
  • Sunday 2:00 am - 6:00 am
  • Sunday 6:00 am - 10:00 am
  • Sunday 10:00 am - 2:00 pm

Leonard N4LJT

My plan is to be on site from setup to tear down. No sense in me leaving. I plan on living in the RV when not schedule. Too far for me to travel back and forth.

On Thu, Jan 7, 2021 at 6:59 PM, Doug KM4LKC via groups.io
<sunburned_fl@...> wrote:
[...]

What an outstanding job with the tower and beam for our field day events.  You will not believe the job Chuck and Paul did on the project.  The hubcaps are an especially nice touch...lol.
The tower stands about 48 feet tall.  The beam works 20, 15, and 10 meters. There is also a fan dipole for 80 and 40 meters.

Angelo K3YUN

No picture

On Tue, Jan 12, 2021, 7:35 PM Doug KM4LKC via groups.io <sunburned_fl=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

What an outstanding job with the tower and beam for our field day events.  You will not believe the job Chuck and Paul did on the project.  The hubcaps are an especially nice touch...lol.
The tower stands about 48 feet tall.  The beam works 20, 15, and 10 meters. There is also a fan dipole for 80 and 40 meters.

Doug KM4LKC

We are still looking for operators that are relatively new to contesting for our 2-6 and 6-10 pm operating slots on Saturday, January 30th.  This is a great chance to experience voice operations and the digital modes with an experienced operator as your backup.  You can start by working at the logging station and then move to operating the radio as you build some experience

Several people have already signed up for operating and logging positions.  We have room for eight (8) operator during each of the time slots.  So don't be shy.  Jump in and give us a hand running the contest.  It will be a blast!

Jason KN4JND

Sign me up for 2-6 Saturday
KN4JND

Get involved in Amateur Radio 🇺🇸

We are still looking for operators that are relatively new to contesting for our 2-6 and 6-10 pm operating slots on Saturday, January 30th.  This is a great chance to experience voice operations and the digital modes with an experienced operator as your backup.  You can start by working at the logging station and then move to operating the radio as you build some experience

Several people have already signed up for operating and logging positions.  We have room for eight (8) operator during each of the time slots.  So don't be shy.  Jump in and give us a hand running the contest.  It will be a blast!

Dave K4DES

Hi Doug, If available, sign Peter Gillen k4pjg and myself k4des up for the 2 -6 time frame on Saturday preferable on SSB.
Thanks,
Dave

Leonard N4LJT

N4LJT (Leonard) will take whatever is available. I'll be there the whole time. I will sleep, preferably at night, lol.

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 9:19 AM, Doug KM4LKC via groups.io
<sunburned_fl@...> wrote:
We are still looking for operators that are relatively new to contesting for our 2-6 and 6-10 pm operating slots on Saturday, January 30th.  This is a great chance to experience voice operations and the digital modes with an experienced operator as your backup.  You can start by working at the logging station and then move to operating the radio as you build some experience

Several people have already signed up for operating and logging positions.  We have room for eight (8) operator during each of the time slots.  So don't be shy.  Jump in and give us a hand running the contest.  It will be a blast!

Doug KM4LKC

I'll post the volunteers on the schedule here;
https://cars-fl.groups.io/g/main/message/1105

Steve KO4SPC

I will be there all day Saturday and Sunday

On Jan 18, 2021, at 9:19 AM, Doug KM4LKC via groups.io <sunburned_fl@...> wrote:

We are still looking for operators that are relatively new to contesting for our 2-6 and 6-10 pm operating slots on Saturday, January 30th.  This is a great chance to experience voice operations and the digital modes with an experienced operator as your backup.  You can start by working at the logging station and then move to operating the radio as you build some experience

Several people have already signed up for operating and logging positions.  We have room for eight (8) operator during each of the time slots.  So don't be shy.  Jump in and give us a hand running the contest.  It will be a blast!

Allan KN4JEN

Doug
Please count me in for set up & tear down.
Allan
KN4JEN

On Jan 18, 2021, at 12:47 PM, Steve KO4SPC via groups.io <banker49@...> wrote:

 I will be there all day Saturday and Sunday

On Jan 18, 2021, at 9:19 AM, Doug KM4LKC via groups.io <sunburned_fl@...> wrote:

We are still looking for operators that are relatively new to contesting for our 2-6 and 6-10 pm operating slots on Saturday, January 30th.  This is a great chance to experience voice operations and the digital modes with an experienced operator as your backup.  You can start by working at the logging station and then move to operating the radio as you build some experience

Several people have already signed up for operating and logging positions.  We have room for eight (8) operator during each of the time slots.  So don't be shy.  Jump in and give us a hand running the contest.  It will be a blast!

Angelo K3YUN

Doug, I will be there for set up and tear down and in and out at different times.
Angelo K3YUN

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021, 12:42 PM Doug KM4LKC via groups.io <sunburned_fl=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

[...]

Andy N3FNN

I plan on being there for set_up.

On Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 6:48 PM, Angelo K3YUN
<adramis164@...> wrote:
[...]

Joe KK4TOI

Where is it going to be

On Tue, Jan 19, 2021, 10:18 PM Andy N3FNN via groups.io <apantelides=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Joe,

WFD will be at the same location as our Winter Field day last year.  We will be located at the Deep Creek Park just across the Desoto County line.  The park is next to the Navigator Grill off of Kings Highway.

Address and Google Map to the Park
Deep Creek Park
9751 SW Peace River St Arcadia, FL 34269

Look forward to seeing you there!

Paul KO4ACZ / Mo KO4ADA

KO4ACZ and KO4ADA

We will be available for set up and take down
We will be available to operate Sat 6 pm to 10 pm and Sun 10 am to 2 pm

Doug KM4LKC

Let us know if you are bringing crock pots or other food and beverages to the Winter Field Day event.
I know a couple of people said they were bringing pots of chili, potato salad, coffee, and some cases of water.
We want to make sure we have enough coolers and utensils, plates, bowls, and napkins.

So far, the weather reports are looking nice.  We will have fun!