locked CARS 6 meter Net on 50.200 USB - Thu, 09/17/2020 #cal-notice

main@CARS-FL.groups.io Calendar <noreply@...>

CARS 6 meter Net on 50.200 USB

When:
Thursday, 17 September 2020
7:00pm to 8:00pm
(GMT-04:00) America/New York

Where:
50.200 USB

Join us for the Charlotte Amateur Radio Society's 6-meter net on 50.200 USB at 7:00 pm on the first and third Thursday each month.

Rod K4BGU

Hi all, once again I heard you all on the 6meter net. Susan  was blasting in. But,
I tried for 30 min to be heard and cannot figure out what my
problem was with being received.
Rod  K4BGU

On Sep 17, 2020, at 7:00 PM, main@CARS-FL.groups.io Calendar <noreply@groups.io> wrote:

CARS 6 meter Net on 50.200 USB

When:
Thursday, 17 September 2020
7:00pm to 8:00pm
(GMT-04:00) America/New York

Where:
50.200 USB

Join us for the Charlotte Amateur Radio Society's 6-meter net on 50.200 USB at 7:00 pm on the first and third Thursday each month.

Doug KM4LKC

Rob,

What is your location?
What antenna are you using?
What is your SWR reading during transmission?

Doug

Rod K4BGU

Hi Doug,
I’m in Burnt Store Marina using an SX-80 vertical (80-6m) have tried
my Icom 7300 and Kenwood ts590. Have three manual tuners etc..
None of the tuners are rated for 6 and SWR is to far off for the radio’s internal tuners to handle it. I bought a 6 meter ham stick a month or so ago and couldn’t get it to hear as well as my vertical and it couldn’t be heard either. I don’t have an antenna analyzer so even with the ham stick I don’t know which way to adjust length or counterpoise wire.
Thanks for asking,
Rod  K4BGU

On Sep 19, 2020, at 9:17 AM, Doug KM4LKC via groups.io <sunburned_fl@...> wrote:

Rob,

What is your location?
What antenna are you using?
What is your SWR reading during transmission?

Doug

Doug KM4LKC

Edited

Rod,

Great radios.  I love my 590s and I have had the opportunity to run the 7300 a few times.
Sounds like the antenna(s) are reflecting enough power back to the radio that the radios are folding back and reducing power.

At your location, antenna height is a key factor.  If you can get something up 20 feet or so that should help a lot.  You might want to start with a simple verticle dipole.  They are easy to tune and simple to make.  This is more complicated than the simple wire antenna, but it might give you some inspiration...lol.
https://www.instructables.com/id/My-Experiment-in-Building-a-Vertical-Dipole-Antenn/

Don KG5RVW uses an arrow GP-52 1/4 wave ground plane. The price is right!
http://www.arrowantennas.com/gp/gp52.html

And you are welcome to borrow my antenna analyzer anytime.

73,

Doug

Rod K4BGU

Thanks Doug I’ll  check out your suggestions.
73 Rod
K4BGU

On Sep 19, 2020, at 1:20 PM, Doug KM4LKC via groups.io <sunburned_fl@...> wrote:

[...]

Donald Kumpost

Rod

Looked on the map and from my location (Net Control) to your location is about 9.5 miles.  Depending on the elevation of your antenna (how high is it mounted), you could be in the fringe of my reception area or just outside of it.  So, elevation is item #1.

The other thing is power.  What I found very quickly, very early on, you need to go up in power.  I'm operating at 100 watts to be able to reach all that I can reach, and even then, still have to rely on relays to communicate with outlayers.  So, power is item #2.

Obviously, an antenna that is tuned to 6m (without using a tuner) will give you better true power out of the antenna.  I know you said you had a 6m ham stick but it didn't receive as well.  That's probably very understandable.  Again, you are at the very southern edge of my transmission area and most of the folks are north of me, some at the very northern edge of my transmission area.  I have trouble hearing some of them, so you would most likely never hear them.

One thing I am a bit confuse about, You made a comment that Susan was blasting in.  However, I have never had a Susan check in on my net in all the times I ran it, so that leaves me confused.

So, elevation, transmit power, and 6m antenna, as Doug said, I am using the GP-52 mounted on top of a 24 ft painters pole and it gives me pretty good coverage, especially being in an HOA.

If you have any other questions, you can contact me direct at kumpostd  @  hotmail.com (take out spaces)

Don Kumpost
KG5RVW

Doug KM4LKC

I forgot to share the most famous local antenna for 6 meters - It's KO4ACY Chuck's Copper J-Pole.
It is mounted in a tilt-over base made up of three 10' pipes (1 1/2" dia).
Ask me about the hose that got stuck during the installation some time - it's a two beer story.

Rod K4BGU

Hi Don,
Thanks again for all the useful information. I think I can make it happen as I already have a tilt base from DX installed but got called on it due to HOA rules. I think I can get away with it on a temp install every other Thursday evening...then take it down before AM. I was looking at a comet Antenna unit that is around 7.5 ft in height on top of a twist lock pole That should get the base at about 20 feet.
Talk soon, 73’s
Rod. K4BGU