locked December 5th - Testing the capabilities of the Hand-Held Radio #operatingevents #emcomm

Doug KM4LKC

Edited

Charlotte Amateur Radio Society

A Preparation Exercise for an Emergency Radio Communications Drill

This exercise is the first step towards a scenario-based training drill that involves a county-wide simulated emergency.  This simulated emergency includes a loss of regular emergency communications through telephone, cell phones, and internet services.  The drill specifies that radio communications may not utilize any repeater services nor any internet services.

The first phase is to test the capabilities of the hand-held radio and determine their ability to reach a portable VHF/UHF station.  The goals of this exercise are:

  1. Determine the maximum range to complete reliable and effective voice communications of the hand-held radios.

  2. Identify the issues involved in setting up a portable operation for VHF/UHF communications.

  3. Determine the ability of the portable operation to complete reliable communications to a portable command center.

  4. Evaluate the ability of mobile units to augment emergency communications with the portable field centers and the portable command center.

What do we need from the amateur radio community to hold this exercise?

GREEN ZONE - 6 licensed amateur radio operators

  1. One portable operation designated the “GREEN” Station.

    1. Two licensed operators

    2. One dual-band mobile or portable base unit capable of 50 watts on FM

    3. One antenna system with a minimum mast height of 20 feet and a maximum mast height of 25 feet in height.  The antenna can extend above the mast.

    4. All appropriate power, coax, and other support gear including logging supplies.

  2. Four (4) “GREEN” operators with 5-watt hand-held radios

BLUE ZONE - 6 licensed amateur radio operators

  1. One portable operation designated the “BLUE” Station.

    1. Two licensed operators

    2. One dual-band mobile or portable base unit capable of 50 watts on FM

    3. One antenna system with a minimum mast height of 20 feet and a maximum mast height of 25 feet in height.  The antenna can extend above the mast.

    4. All appropriate power, coax, and other support gear including logging supplies.

  2. Four (4) “BLUE” operators with 5-watt hand-held radios

RED COMMAND CENTER - 2 licensed amateur radio operators

  1. One portable operation designated the “RED CONTROL” Station.

    1. Two licensed operators

    2. One dual-band mobile or portable base unit capable of 50 watts on FM

    3. One antenna system with a minimum mast height of 20 feet and a maximum mast height of 25 feet in height.  The antenna can extend above the mast.

    4. All appropriate power, coax, and other support gear including logging supplies.

Additional needs - 2 mobile units and one “Big Gun” Base station

  1. It would be helpful to have two mobile units to participate in the exercise.  We can evaluate the appropriate use of mobile units in an emergency situation.

  2. It would also be nice to have a base station with a tall antenna system to observe and report their findings and thoughts on the exercise.

This is an ambitious exercise that requires approximately 14 -17 amateur radio operators to participate in the event.  I suspect we would hold the event on a Saturday morning.  The exercise would begin at 10:00 am and conclude at 12:00 noon.

We have a series of communication tests planned for the event.  We will specify the location of each of the “ZONES” and the frequencies required for operations.  We will test and compare VHF and UHF capabilities.

Let’s see if we can raise enough operators to make the exercise worthwhile.  If so, we can work through the planning issues.  I am guessing we will target mid-November to mid-December for the exercise.

Please post your interest here.

Having fun promoting amateur radio technology

Lon K4LON

Works for me.   Lon   K4LON

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 12:41 PM Doug KM4LKC via groups.io <sunburned_fl=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Charlotte Amateur Radio Society

A Preparation Excercise for an Emergency Radio Communications Drill

[...]

This is an ambitious excise that requires approximately 14 -17 amateur radio operators to participate in the event.  I suspect we would hold the event on a Saturday morning.  The exercise would begin at 10:00 am and conclude at 12:00 noon.

We have a series of communication tests planned for the event.  We will specify the location of each of the “ZONES” and the frequencies required for operations.  We will test and compare VHF and UHF capabilities.

Let’s see if we can raise enough operators to make the exercise worthwhile.  If so, we can work through the planning issues.  I am guessing we will target mid-November to mid-December for the exercise.

Please post your interest here.

Having fun promoting amateur radio technology

Rod K4BGU

This sounds interesting and I believe I could participate in. I have all the necessary items mentioned. If I could operate from Burnt Store Marina where I live that would help.
Rod K4BGU

On Sep 16, 2020, at 12:41 PM, Doug KM4LKC via groups.io <sunburned_fl@...> wrote:

[...]

Jim Nuznoff WD8JEL

This sounds like a very worthwhile exercise! Please keep me in the loop as I wish to participate. I do not have 50 watt capabilities on 2 meters or 70 cm.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2020 at 3:42 PM, Rob K4BGU via groups.io
<rodbren1@...> wrote:
[...]

Keith K4ROX

I'm in. I am new in the area, but used to be active in Ares/Races and EOC on the other side. Are you guys utilizing NBEMS here? It would be a good exercise for it. Easy to do with no special equipment and a handheld. Here is some good info, if not.

https://pslara.org/docs/36.D.pdf

<rodbren1@...> wrote:

[...]

2.     Determine the maximum range to complete reliable and effective voice communications of the hand-held radios.

  1.
  2.

5.     Identify the issues involved in setting up a portable operation for VHF/UHF communications.

  1.
  2.

8.     Determine the ability of the portable operation to complete reliable communications to a portable command center.

  1.
  2.

11.  Evaluate the ability of mobile units to augment emergency communications with the portable field centers and the portable command center.

  1.

What do we need from the amateur radio community to hold this exercise?

GREEN ZONE - 6 licensed amateur radio operators

  1.

2.     One portable operation designated the “GREEN” Station.

  1.
    1.

b.     Two licensed operators

    1.
    2.

e.     One dual-band mobile or portable base unit capable of 50 watts on FM

    1.
    2.

h.     One antenna system with a minimum mast height of 20 feet and a maximum mast height of 25 feet in height.  The antenna can extend above the mast.

    1.
    2.

k.      All appropriate power, coax, and other support gear including logging supplies.

    1.
  1.

5.     Four (4) “GREEN” operators with 5-watt hand-held radios

  1.

BLUE ZONE - 6 licensed amateur radio operators

  1.

4.        One portable operation designated the “BLUE” Station.

  1.
    1.

b.        Two licensed operators

    1.
    2.

e.        One dual-band mobile or portable base unit capable of 50 watts on FM

    1.
    2.

h.        One antenna system with a minimum mast height of 20 feet and a maximum mast height of 25 feet in height.  The antenna can extend above the mast.

    1.
    2.

k.         All appropriate power, coax, and other support gear including logging supplies.

    1.
  1.

7.        Four (4) “BLUE” operators with 5-watt hand-held radios

  1.

RED COMMAND CENTER - 2 licensed amateur radio operators

  1.

6.        One portable operation designated the “RED CONTROL” Station.

  1.
    1.

b.        Two licensed operators

    1.
    2.

e.        One dual-band mobile or portable base unit capable of 50 watts on FM

    1.
    2.

h.        One antenna system with a minimum mast height of 20 feet and a maximum mast height of 25 feet in height.  The antenna can extend above the mast.

    1.
    2.

k.         All appropriate power, coax, and other support gear including logging supplies.

    1.

Additional needs - 2 mobile units and one “Big Gun” Base station

  1.

7.        It would be helpful to have two mobile units to participate in the exercise.  We can evaluate the appropriate use of mobile units in an emergency situation.

  1.
  1.

10.     It would also be nice to have a base station with a tall antenna system to observe and report their findings and thoughts on the exercise.

  1.

This is an ambitious excise that requires approximately 14 -17 amateur radio operators to participate in the event.  I suspect we would hold the event on a Saturday morning.  The exercise would begin at 10:00 am and conclude at 12:00 noon.

We have a series of communication tests planned for the event.  We will specify the location of each of the “ZONES” and the frequencies required for operations.  We will test and compare VHF and UHF capabilities.

Let’s see if we can raise enough operators to make the exercise worthwhile.  If so, we can work through the planning issues.  I am guessing we will target mid-November to mid-December for the exercise.

Please post your interest here.

Having fun promoting amateur radio technology

Duwain W8JJV

i am in
Duwain

Donald Kumpost

You know I'm game for it.

Don

Ian KO4EFS

I would love to be a part of it!    I have full Mobile and Portable VHF / UHF Capabilities up to 75 Watts.    6M, 2M, 220, 70cm.    I have Portable Directional Antennas as well.    Must be a Saturday or Sunday for me!  Thanks!

Ian Hickin - KO4EFS
KO4EFS@...

[...]

Steve W4OEP

What a great plan!  I am most interested in your findings and would gladly participate if there is a role I can play.

Steve Park W4OEP
Official Emergency Station and Emergency Coordinator, Manatee County

Michael K4YG

I can participate.  I have 50W in the car and 5W HT's.

--

Michael Epting
Five Star Realty of Charlotte County

Doug KM4LKC

Keith,

Thanks for sharing this.  Looks like a great idea!

Doug KM4LKC

Sep 16

I'm in. I am new in the area, but used to be active in Ares/Races and EOC on the other side. Are you guys utilizing NBEMS here? It would be a good exercise for it. Easy to do with no special equipment and a handheld. Here is some good info, if not.

https://pslara.org/docs/36.D.pdf

Doug KM4LKC

THANK YOU!  It appears we have outstanding participation in this exercise.

We are finalizing the three locations - one in the Port Charlotte / Murdock area and one on the south side of Punta Gorda and the final location will likely be a little east of these locations.
Frequencies will be set for each of the zones in both VHF and UHF.
And we are configuring the portable stations to operate from painters poles or similar portable mast systems.

Stay tuned for details so you can get your hand-helds programmed and ready to go!

Paul KO4ACZ / Mo KO4ADA

Sounds like a good experimental exercise. Count us in. It was good to see smiling club members faces at the elks today.

Dave K4DES <k4des@...>

I could serve a a BIG GUN as I now have a 4 element vertically polarized 2 meter and 6 element 440 beam at 90 feet and Yaesu 991A at 50 watts on FM.

Jim Nuznoff WD8JEL

Dave, your beams seem awsome! What di yo have to offer omnidirectional?

On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 4:15 PM, Dave K4DES
<k4des@...> wrote:
I could serve a a BIG GUN as I now have a 4 element vertically polarized 2 meter and 6 element 440 beam at 90 feet and Yaesu 991A at 50 watts on FM.

Dave K4DES <k4des@...>

J-pole at 20 feet. I could move it to the top of the tower but I’d like to see more details about the exercise before going to that.

<k4des@...> wrote:
I could serve a a BIG GUN as I now have a 4 element vertically polarized 2 meter and 6 element 440 beam at 90 feet and Yaesu 991A at 50 watts on FM.

Doug KM4LKC

Edited

Charlotte Amateur Radio Society

A Preparation Excercise for an Emergency Radio Communications Drill
Testing the capabilities of the Hand-Held Radio

It's time to get your radios programmed.  Handie talkies will stay on Channel 1 and 2 (Green Zone) or Channel 5 and 6 (Blue Zone)
Portable stations will stay on Channels 3 and 4 (Green Zone) or Channels 7 and 8 (Blue Zone)

Simplex Frequencies with no PL Tone for the exercise -

GREEN ZONE

146.550 Green Channel # 1 - VHF channel for HTs to local control

446.025 Green Channel # 2 - UHF Channel for HTs to local control

146.575 Green Channel # 3 - VHF Channel for local control to Central Command

446.050 Green Channel # 4 - UHF Channel for local control to Central Command

BLUE ZONE

146.600 Blue Channel # 5  - VHF Channel for HTs to local control

446.075 Blue Channel # 6  - UHF Channel for HTs to local control

146.625 Blue Channel # 7  - VHF Channel for local control to Central Command

446.100 Blue Channel # 8  - UHF Channel for local control to Central Command

More to come....

Lon K4LON

Hi there,   I live at 580 Kellstadt st NW, Port Charlotte.   Which ZONE am I in    Lon   K4LON

On Mon, Oct 12, 2020 at 2:34 PM Doug KM4LKC via groups.io <sunburned_fl=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Hi Lon,

You are in the green zone.  But stay tuned for more information so you understand the specific requirements of the exercise.  The details are being developed now.  I would suggest programming all 8 frequencies into your radio(s). This will give you flexibility later.

George K1HQW

Am just off south end of runway 15/33 in Ventura Lakes.  Can do (only 2M) base with an Icom IC-2300H at 65W w/ an Ed Fong J-Pole at 20ft (minimum of S5 on RX to Ni4CE), plus 5W 2M HTs.
Can do automobile w/ same equip, plus little 100W Linear for HT for chuckles. Have "hoist it in the tree" Ed Fong J-Pole. Have no battery pack (yet)  for valid walk-around hi-power, if that is a factor.  Working the battery pack acquisition thru CCFlares.............

K1HQW