locked Summer Field Day #operatingevents

Donald Kumpost

ARRL Summer Field Day is about a month away, and the CARS Field Day planning group is hard at it.  As most of you know, field day is the last full weekend of June, so this year it runs from 2:00 PM EDT Saturday, June 27th to 2:00 PM EDT Sunday, June 28th.  CARS will be setting up their operating site in the screened in pavilion at the Charlotte Harbor Environmental Center just off Burnt Store Road.

This year, our biggest challenge is balancing maximum member participation - ensuring all members (especially including less experienced members) have an opportunity to contribute to the club success by working as both operators and loggers with the concerns for minimizing COVID-19 health risk  to participants.  To do this, we will do a much better job of scheduling when people are on site so that during peak operating hours, we have enough members on site to cover all the sations while also limiting the number of "extra" people.

To help us accomplish this, I will be sending out a poll to the membership where you can indicate two things.

 First, your responses will be divided into either "Experienced Operator" or "Learner Operator".  There is no hard and fast metric as to who is experienced and who is learner, it is up to your comfort level.  The end goal is to make sure that less experienced operators are paired up with more experienced operators to help mentor them through the event.  This is where the real learner goes on.

Second, you will be able to indicate which times slots you are available to work.  The time slots on the poll will be rather large (generally three hour increments), but this is only to simplify the poll.  Anticipate operating or logging for one hour to at max two hour increments.  Beyond that and fun starts to turn to work.

So, be looking for the poll (it will be coming out shortly).  If you have any questions/concerns, please let me know.

Don Kumpost
KG5RVW

Paul KO4ACZ / Mo KO4ADA

Don,

Being relatively new to Field Day we do do have some questions.
Do we bring our own radio?
Do we need to bring an antenna or will others have some to "share"?
What other equipment will be imperative to bring along?
Will there be a meeting or something to explain all this?
I'm sure we will have plenty more questions but we don't want to overwhelm you all at one.

Thanks
Paul KO4ACZ and Mo KO4ADA

Donald Kumpost

Paul & Mo

All equipment (radios, antennas, computers, etc) that will be needed has already been identified as to who is bringing what items.  This is all part of the early planning process (how many stations, how many antennas, what kind of stations and antennae, etc) for field day.  So, that said, you will not need to bring any of those items.

Other equipment - Probably the only items you may want to bring are your own headseats if you have a pair you would rather use.  Although I will be bringing two pair for my station, you may want to use your own (more comfortable, better sound, personal preference, etc).  In that case, feel free.

PPE:  We will have hand sanitizer, alcohol wipes, etc for use.  If you feel more comfortable wearing a mask, you will need to bring your own.

Other:  As we are outdoors, you may (strongly encourage) want to bring insect repellent.  We will be taking measures to reduce the number of bugs, but a multi-layer defense will work best.  Also may want to have sun screen if you are sun sensitive.

We won't have an in-person meeting for this prior to field day, although we will cover topics during our monthly CARS meeting on the 11th.  Also, as I stated on the net this evening, I will be sending out an operations plan which should lay out everything in pretty great detail.  That should go out early next week.

And if it makes you feel any better, this is only my 2nd summer field day that I have participated in - so you aren't that far behind me.

Don
KG5RVW

Dennis W6BFK

Hey Paul & Mo,

It might be a good idea to have your rig in the car, though.  Anything can happen in the field.  As Don mentioned,  we plan to have two contest stations and two deployed ants.  One being a Yaesu 991A and the other an Icom 7300.  Also, Doug and Dave will have 3 logging PC's set up and networked.  I plan to give a station familiarization right after setup so OPs get the chance to get comfortable with the IC7300.

Glad to have you guys on board!

73

Dennis

Jim Kantor W4KAN

I'm a new member so I'm probably not on the roster yet. Sign me up to participate. I'm also new to modern field day operations; last time I participated was in 1973. Thanks!  Jim Kantor W4KAN.