sticky Re: December 5th - Testing the capabilities of the Hand-Held Radio #operatingevents #emcomm

Doug KM4LKC

Edited

THIS POST HAS BEEN UPDATED...
See https://cars-fl.groups.io/g/main/message/1010

Charlotte Amateur Radio Society

A Preparation for an Emergency Radio Communications Drill

Testing the capabilities of the Hand-Held Radio

Saturday, December 5th.

The exercise begins at 10:00 am local and concludes at 12:00 noon

Instructions will be distributed by the Control Stations at 9:30 am.

The control station setup begins at 8:30 am.

The Scenario:

We are the epicenter of a major disaster.

All communications are out.  There is no power, no internet, no cellular service, and no telephone service.

We cannot travel.  The police have closed areas to protect property and lives, power lines and trees are blocking the roads.  Large areas are flooded and impassable.  Bridges are washed out isolating some areas.

A few amateur radio operators are able to put VHF/UHF antennas onto 23-foot painters poles.  They attempt to operate mobile units on emergency power to communicate with each other.

The rest of us have our handheld radios.  We can walk around our neighborhoods to survey the damage.  We can make health and welfare reports and pass along the conditions in our immediate area.

Will it work?  What is the range of our communications?

Let’s find out.

See the attached document for instructions, locations, and an outline of the exercise.  Please check back as the document may be updated to reflect corrections or adjustments to the plan.  Make sure you have the latest information.

We will need a number of operators to help with this exercise.  Let us know if you are interested in the Port Charlotte / Murdock area or helping in the Punta Gorda area.
We can use plenty of hand-held operators to form teams of two. And we need one additional operator to provide assistance at the Command Center.

Port Charlotte / Murdock

Don KG5RVW
Lon K4LON
Paul KO4ACZ / Mo KO4ADA