moderated Re: Phase 2 - An Emergency Communications Exercise #operatingevents #emcomm

Leonard N4LJT

Count me in. Would like to work the Myakka river west area. I have  a radio but am not set up for portable operation ( antennas or power)and do not have all the modes functional as yet on the radio, FT-857.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Monday, March 1, 2021, 10:15 AM, Doug KM4LKC via groups.io <sunburned_fl@...> wrote:

We are getting ready for our second emergency communications exercise. As we develop our plans, we need your help. Please let us know if you can assist us with the exercise either by providing equipment or by operating the portable stations.

This exercise will involve four (4) portable stations spread across the county. These stations will need two radio systems - an HF station to work 40 meters and 6 meters and a VHF/UHF one radio system to work both VHF and UHF. The HF station will need to work voice, JS8 Call, and Winlink RF only (no internet).

Each portable station will need at least two operators. Each station will need to include the antenna systems, emergency power systems, radio systems including the computers to run JS8 and Winlink.
Antenna systems are limited to a height between 20 and 25 feet to the base of the antenna. This is designed to simulate a "painter's pole " type of antenna deployment. It would be great if we can test Angelo's 6-meter coax antenna as part of our 6-meter operations.

Ideally, we would like to have one unit in the Engelwood area located close to the Myakka but just west of the river. A second unit could be located in the Murdock area. We will have one unit located in Punta Gorda near US 17 and Bermont Road. And finally, if we would love to get a fourth unit located in the Babcock Ranch Community located in the southeastern part of the county.

That's the hard part. The easy part is that many operators will be able to assist us in testing systems from their own location using hand-held units and mobile units.

Having fun promoting amateur radio technology

Join main@CARS-FL.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.